Re: udev

Rick Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 16:31 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 22:30 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:

Note that I have the 1.4.0.99-fc5.i586 version of Skype installed (yes,
an i586 package on 64-bit machines running 64-bit Fedora).
Why on earth does skype update their rpm for an obsolete version of Fedora,
and then give this as the version for Fedora-7 ?
It's not in an F7 repository.  Go to their site, right click on the
link to the RPM and choose "Save link as..." and download it.  Go to
the directory where you downloaded it and do:

	$ sudo - rpm -ivh skype-1.4.0.99.fc5.i586.rpm

Note that there are some dependencies that it may need that you don't
have (the curse of not having it in a repo).  If so, then "yum -y
install whatever-it-needs" (Qt and a couple of others come to mind),
then repeat the "rpm -ivh" bit.

Hi Rick well I did get the fc5 version from the Skype webpage and since I had the earlier one running all the fc5 dependants were all ready loaded so I just did the load rpm and it did and I turned it on and it works fine. I think it will do fine so I am happy with a new kernel, new udev and skype :-)

Glad to hear it!  See, it's not that hard to do, eh?  ;-)  Just takes a
little bit of perseverance.  You learned some stuff, how to get around
some obstacles and now you can say, "I did it myself!"

Welcome to nerdvana!

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-           Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.            -

Hi Rick, yes it was fun to, in between a Doctor visit, get the whole computer working just like it did with faulty udev and old kernel. Now we can move on to better improvements as we go forward.

And right now we are having HUGE rain which is real fun since we had a 10 year draught in the past 10 years. But now we have mud, no dust.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User