Re: udev

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 12:24 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     After re-booting I checked and indeed it has the parallel port
> problem solved. Observe:
>
> [karl@k5di ~]$ ls /dev/lp*
> /dev/lp0  /dev/lp1  /dev/lp2  /dev/lp3
> [karl@k5di ~]$
>
> This is better than the old udev.
>
>     Yes and the printer still works. Good job somebody!
>
>     Now to get the new kernel(s) and see how they co-exist with this
> udev. I had to get to where the yum would let me have a kernel. Then I
> d/l the kernel-2.6.22.1-41.fc7 which didn't work at ALL with the older
> udev but it booted up and I found that my USB things are now working
> just fine. The gmfsk I like is still working fine.
>
>     The only thing still not working is Skype. It works with the old
> kerenel and the new udev, but not with the new kernel. Skype is kind of
> a problem anyway, so not a bad problem.

That's odd.  I have Skype on four different 64-bit machines and two
versions of Fedora 64-bit (one Opteron/FC6, one Athlon X2/FC6, one
Opteron/F7 and one Xeon DuoCore/F7).  All machines are fully updated
(F7 machines have the -41 kernel and latest udev) and Skype works just
fine on all once you sort out which switches to enable in Alsa.

Note that I have the 1.4.0.99-fc5.i586 version of Skype installed (yes,
an i586 package on 64-bit machines running 64-bit Fedora).  The older
versions did have issues.  In my case, the mic was muted after hanging
up a call requiring Skype to be restarted.  A minor annoyance as I
rarely made one call after another on Skype.  The new version doesn't
have this issue (at least for me).

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!      -