WSJ - Mossberg disses Linux

Greetings,

In order to try and get a broader audience for a Linux I've engaged in a small effort to try and get Walt Mossberg, the technology and gadget reviewer for the Wall Street Journal, to try and review Linux-running machines. His replies to me were that Linux was just for "techies" (I have his emails archived somewhere).

Mossberg apparently has considerable traction, one of the WSJ's marquis writers, and his reviews can make or break products in the WSJ-reading community. Producers fear what affect his criticism will have on their bottomo line.

Today, he has a review of a Linux-based machine, "A $99 Desktop Comes
With Software, Backup And Too Many Catches" (p.B1) and he says wonderful thing like,

" ...Second, a lot of this Linux software is rough, below the polished level of Windows or Mac programs. In my tests, various programs crashed or froze frequently. While the Banshee program is supposed to work with iPods, it failed to work properly with both of the iPods I tested. ..."

Exactly, not my experience. I've been a Linux desktop and server user, trying to keep my nickels from landing in either Bill Gates' or Steve Jobs' pockets, since the late 90s. Certainly, in the late 90s applications-based stuff had its rough edges, and these days an alpha-based application (so self-described) may have have unpredictable results, but on too many points Linux can go head-to-head, and be head-and-shoulders above Jobs- and Gates-related offerings.

I encourage Fedora, and other distro, users to take a crack at the WSJ-reading establishment and their chief spear-carrier. Email (publicly available) is mossberg@xxxxxxxx

Max Pyziur
pyz@xxxxxxxxx