Re: I hate update!

Tim:
>> Hmm, I can confirm that the CUPS printer setup seems to have missed out
>> the parallel port.  My set up is still working, but I just went through
>> the motions of adding a new printer, the choices were:
>>
>> AppSocket/HP JetDirect
>> Backend Error Handler
>> Hal printing backend
>> Internet Printing Protocol (http)
>> Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
>> LPD/LPR Host or Printer
>> SCSI Printer
>> Serial Port #1
>> Windows Printer via SAMBA

Mike Chambers:
> Is your printer parallel port or have one or do you have it connected
> that way?  If not, then it won't show up, only what is "available" at
> the moment.

Sorry, I missed writing in the crucial bit that my printer was parallel,
and also goofed when I said it was still working.  My test was printing
a page that I'd also printed the day before, but left on the printer
tray.  I wasn't paying attention when I did my test, it didn't print
today.  I looked at yesterday's print, and assumed the printer worked.

My system stopped working with a parallel printer when I updated udev
some time last night.  My system started working when I reverted to an
older version of udev.  I saw no point in trying a prior version of
CUPS, as the last time I updated that was ages ago, and I've definitely
done a lot of printing since then.  Other updates that happened last
night had nothing to do with printing.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.