Re: Procedure on mounting USB/hotplug devices

On Tuesday 07 August 2007 09:16, Casey Stamper wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > It was quite a few releases ago that the fstab file was subject to
> > > being rewritten automatically.  Now, automatically mounted things are
> > > mounted without altering it.
> >
> > So you are saying that the data that was to be written in /etc/fstab is
> > now written somewhere else for "mount /media/label" to find it? Where
> > would that be? I couldn't find anything in man mount.
>
> I think dynamic mounts are in /etc/mtab.

The data goes there once the device is mounted. But that is not what I am
talking about.

I want to know how the system determines the parameters that are used to mount
a device. The mount command reads that data from /etc/fstab, and mounts the
device accordingly. Where is the same information stored (or how is it
generated) about hotpluggable devices that are not listed in /etc/fstab and
are not yet mounted? One must FIRST have the mount point created, the
filesystem determined, the permissions set up, and THEN (using all that)
mount the device.

Of course, once the device is mounted, all those parameters are displayed
in /etc/mtab and in /proc/mounts. But I want to configure it, not just read
it.

Best, :-)
Marko

Marko Vojinovic