Re: Procedure on mounting USB/hotplug devices

Tim:
>> It was quite a few releases ago that the fstab file was subject to being
>> rewritten automatically.  Now, automatically mounted things are mounted
>> without altering it.

Marko Vojinovic:
> So you are saying that the data that was to be written in /etc/fstab is now
> written somewhere else for "mount /media/label" to find it? Where would that
> be? I couldn't find anything in man mount.

No, I'm saying that dynamically connected things don't have an entry
written for them in the fstab file, automatically.  Additional to that,
you wouldn't mount them in that abbreviated manner, manually.  As far as
I am aware, the mount command refers to the fstab file, and doesn't have
alternatives.

Either you provide the full mount line for something that's not listed
in the fstab file (mount <options> <device-location> <mount-point>), you
create entries in the fstab file so you can use abbreviated mount
command lines (mount <device-location> or <mount-point>), though note
that you may end up fighting against the automounter, or you can use
gnome-mount to get it work out the details.

I haven't quite got around to looking at manual mounting on FC7, it's
working automatically for me, quite fine.  But the general premise is
that the volume label of a device (as set on that device's file system)
will be used for referring to that device and creating a like-named
mount point inside /media (when you play with gnome-mount).

I think you might want to have a look at man gnome-mount, it does detail
a lot of things about what's involved.  Despite the name, you're not
forced into using Gnome at the time.  Personally, I think it's a daft
name, there doesn't appear to be a Gnome GUI, and I don't think it's a
good idea to use a GUI name on something you might use solely on a
text-only terminal.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386