Re: Cups

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 14:42 -0700, Alan M. Evans wrote:
On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 15:20 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
      I have learned a lot today and it is all bad. Let us assume
the udev
update I got is what ruined my printing. The obvious thing to do is delete the update. But you can not do that.
No. The obvious thing to do is to roll back to an old udev. You would
do
this by grabbing an old version rpm then replace the new (updated)
package with the old one.

Ok, I'll bite. People keep talking about downgrading a yum install. I
have never seen how to do this? The old yum rpm is no longer in the
database that I can find.

In any case it is not a udev problem. The updated cups does not support
parallel printers. Is that not a bug?

Youth is a disease from which we all recover. -- Dorothy Fuldheim

Yes it is a bug. It appears now in bug 251272 that the udev update was the one that stopped udev from making parallel ports on /dev/. and that is the root of the problem. I changed both udev and cups and it appears now that changing only udev and a reboot would have made printing work again.

If your using a USB printer none of this will hurt you and your printer is still working.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User