Re: System freezing frequently

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 00:59 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Finally discovered problem was faulty capacitors in motherboard.
>
> After replacing one motherboard, a machine worked great 8 months, one
> of the machines started to do it again.  I went through the usual
> crap--all that stuff you have been doing.  I got to the point where I
> could not depend on it to do anything.  Discovered problem was the
> main power supply was failing.  It supplied enough power to boot and
> run, but apparently not enough for the bursts of energy needed by one
> of the IDE drives, and when that drive freaked out, it made the whole
> system lock up.

Hmm, more bad caps in the power supply?  Heat sensitive, or simply
cooked, capacitors have been the bane of television repairs virtually
since they were invented.  Some manufacturers never learn, they buy
cheap parts, and put them in the hottest parts of the device.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.