Re: How to erase updates?

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Ashley Pritchard wrote:
>> you use the command "rpm -e {the package you want to uninstall}" this
>> will uninstall any pakage you want to uninstall. you can also use the
>> add & remove utility as well to remove the programs that you do not want.
>> On 8/7/07, *Karl Larsen* <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:k5di@xxxxxxxxxx>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>            I have a list from yum.log of the rpm files I want to
>> remove so
>>     printing will work again. I tried yum remove but it wants to
>> remove all
>>     of the thing not just the update.
>>
>> --
>> Diolch yn fawr, Ashley
>>

>     I get this when I use your method. It doesn't work!

Do not jump to conclusions before you understand the issue at hand!

> [root@k5di log]# rpm -e udev.i386 113-8.fc7
> error: package 113-8.fc7 is not installed

The log is stating that there is no package called 113-8.fc7 ... you
should have checked the man page for rpm before jumping to the
conclusion that it does not work.

Secondly, -e => erase, not downgrade. If you really wish to erase it
without complaints, then you need to supply the --nodeps option. Be very
careful when you are erasing packages that are required by others.

> [root@k5di log]# rpm -qi udev.i386 113-8.fc7
> Name        : udev                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
>
> package 113-8.fc7 is not installed

same thing mentioned here!

Anyways, before you decide to get all jumpy and start cursing people, I
*do* understand what you want to achieve, and I *have* replied to that
query in the appropriate thread.

later,
Rogue