Re: Dell Precision M60 with Broadcom BCM4306 HELP!

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 16:22 -0500, Michael Faries wrote:
> Ok so I am a noobie!  I am unable to understand or follow the tutorials
> out there on how to get my wireless card working in F7.  Can anyone give
> me a detailed description of how to get this working?
>
> Is ndiswrapper better or should i do the bcm fwcutter method or do i mix
> both?  Very confusing to my Microsoft trained brain :)

It is confusing, Michael.  If you can get the stock F7 stuff to work
(e.g. fwcutter and the stock driver), then go with that as it'll
automatically update when new kernels come out.

ndiswrapper does work, however you'll need to rebuild it for each new
kernel release, get the dkms-based ndiswrapper package (should build
for each new kernel) or write a wrapper script that rebuilds it when
needed.

If you can be specific about what wireless card you have, we may be able
to guide you along.  We need the output of the "/sbin/lspci -v" command
that relates to the wireless card.  For example, from my HP laptop:

02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 4229 (rev
61)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 1100
        Memory at f8200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
        Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint IRQ 0
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number b1-6a-2f-ff-ff-e8-13-00

Also send along any other details you can give us (type of processor,
make of laptop, etc.).  We'll see what we can do.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -