Re: I hate update!

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:59:00 -0600
Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> took out a #2 pencil and scribbled:

> 	It's a law. You get a number of updated files installed
> and then when you need to do something it is broken. I got
> updates yesterday and one was to Cups and now I can no longer use
> my printer! I need to print some maps. I will reboot to FC6 where
> the printer still works!

It is my understanding that when rpm updates a package the config
file (if it has been changed) is saved as
'someconfigfile.conf.rpmsave' or something similar. Have you tried
looking in /etc/cups/ for the config file with a .rpmsave file name
and trying to restore your printer configuration?

If an update happens FC6 to cups you may run into the same problem.
I would highly suggest fixing the problem rather than simply
booting to another area where you are likely to have the same
result after an update. I do not use cups, I can not help further
than the information I have given you.

You should choose a better subject next time as well. I thought
this was a problem about updatedb or something similar.

HTH

--
Alex White
ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx