Re: Please help with Firefox bug

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 14:49 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> If a browser shows a message that it has some plugin missing and
> offers some bar that you click on any user clicking on it would expect
> to do what it says. If it doesn't do what it says or if tries and
> fails then it is a bug. Do you agree ?

It's a problem, it'd be hard to classify as a bug, or attribute it to
one place, it's not particularly just a Firefox issue (it's a system
issue).  Though Firefox is a large part of the problem, its creators
like to think that it's a GUI for your computer, rather just an
application running on it.  Microsoft has the same silly mindset with
MSIE.

If it can't make use of it (e.g. it's Windows only) we could do with a
check that informs the user about why (which shouldn't be impossible).
"You are about to try and install a Windows-only plug-in, this is
pointless."

If it can't be installed because of lack of privileges the attempt
should bring about a suitable error message:  "You aren't allowed to
install things."

If it's possible to do an install as-is, it should work.  "You can
install this for yourself, other users will have to repeat this for
themselves."  This sort of thing is a pest on multi-user systems, it's a
waste of drive space, not to mention an administrative nightmare.

If it's possible to do an install with administrative permission, it
should do it.  "Enter root password, now, to install this."

> I could agree that this is "windows" way of installing flash plugin...
> but I still don't see any major issue except it doesn't get updated
> during system update.

Personally, I'd like to avoid that.  I'd hate to get to the stage where
I have to manually check for updates to Firefox, plugins, Flash, and
half a dozen other things.  Or put up with browsers doing that slow
process each time you first fired them up for the day.  I turned off
that painful behaviour in Firefox, long ago.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.