Re: How to list to a file?

On 06Aug2007 09:24, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I couldn't find that, looked in man bash but that covers a lot and I may
> have missed it?

I went "/>><enter>" to "man bash" and behold:

Redirecting Output
       Redirection of output causes the  file  whose  name  results from  the
       expansion of word to be opened for writing on file descriptor n, or the
       standard output (file descriptor 1) if n is not specified.  If the file
       does  not exist it is created; if it does exist it is truncated to zero
       size.

       The general format for redirecting output is:

              [n]>word

       If the redirection operator is >, and the noclobber option to the  set
       builtin  has  been enabled, the redirection will fail if the file whose
       name results from the expansion of word exists and is a  regular file.
       If the redirection operator is >|, or the redirection operator is > and
       the noclobber option to the set builtin command  is  not enabled,  the
       redirection is attempted even if the file named by word exists.

   Appending Redirected Output
       Redirection  of  output  in  this  fashion  causes  the file whose name
       results from the expansion of word to be opened for appending  on file
       descriptor  n,  or  the standard output (file descriptor 1) if n is not
       specified.  If the file does not exist it is created.

       The general format for appending output is:

              [n]>>word

Of course, I already knew the answer. But a search on "redirect" or
"append" would have been profitable to you. Never forget that the pager has
search functions - they're very useful.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743