Re: groups and gnome-terminal

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 22:46 +0200, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I added my user to a new group from a gnome-terminal. But the groups
> command didn't show me in the new group. However, after Ctrl-Alt-F2,
> in pure console mode, groups shows me in the proper group. The "users
> and groups" applications from Gnome updates the groups information
> properly.
>
> Why this behaviour? Is this normal?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> PS: Closing the gnome-terminal and starting it again didn't work.

The user has to be logged out and logged back in.  The group file is
only consulted during the login process.  Any changes you make to it
regarding an already-logged-in user will be ignored until that user logs
in again.

Closing and opening a gnome-terminal does not log the user in...the
terminal is part of the user's existing session.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -