From: Alan Cox [mailto:alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 12:50 PM
To: For users of Fedora
Cc: Jason Taylor
Subject: Re: fedora 6 kernel panic issues

once in a while (once or twice a week) the machine locks ups and the
console had a bunch of I/O errors related to sba.  I thought this was

sba or sda - sda is the first SCSI disk (or SATA disk) so its probably a
disk problem.

hard drive problem so I put in a second drive, and booted to an Ubuntu
Live CD (I am a little more familiar with it) and used the dd command
image the drive over to the new one.  But now I am having the same
problem.  While I was ssh in the machine crashed and I saw this on the
terminal

kernel: journal commit I/O error

It couldn't commit journal entries to the disk and update the file
system. One of your disks went for a hike, the question is why ?

What kernel ?

I used Ubuntu 4.5 and it had a early 2.6 kernel way older than FC6 has. I think this removes the kernel from consideration and you have something wrong in your hard drive.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User