Re: Re : ready to give up Linux

On 8/6/07, Croombe F. Pensom <croombefp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have now installed Fedora (including fc7) on a number of different
> machines and they all work just fine : they install easily, find
> everything and run first time no problems.
>
> Maybe there is something you are doing incorrectly during the install
> process : it is easy to overlook something if you speed through the
> install too quickly.
>
> Also, are installing or updating? If one is updating (from, say, FC6 to
> fc7) then it usually (in my experience) doesn't work and I have found
> that it's best to do a complete install with every new version of
> Fedora.
>
> I can't agree with the reply that there's a problem with Fedora maturity
> (or maturity in any other distro if it comes to that). Each distro has
> its own quirks and and characteristics, but I have found that "maturity"
> has nothing to do with it. Each new version of a distro addresses
> outstanding matters such as small bugs, new devices, new protocols,
> updated applications and so on and, despite its stability, even Linux
> will be prone to small bugs being introduced whenever there is an update
> to the kernel or an application. But nothing like the problems one
> experiences with Windoze.
>
> Maybe the machine on which you are trying to install fc7 has some
> characteristic that Linux doesn't like or can't cope with : I understand
> that laptops in general seem to be Linux UNfiendly but, with my IBM R31,
> I've had no troubles with any distro I've tried installing on it
> (perhaps because it is old now?).
> CroombeFP

I'm sympathetic to the original poster on this thread.  I've been
running Linux since Redhat 4.1, a long time.  If F7 had been the first
Linux for me, I am pretty sure  I would have quit.

On a Dell Inspiron laptop, I've had nothing but trouble with the
kernel and udev.  Suspend/Hibernate did not work, original kernel and
update have had serious problems to work on, usb sticks did not mount
automatically, the wireless network (iwl3945) has been a disaster, and
Gnome seems to get worse and worse.

I would think this is the normal state of Linux, I suppose, except
that last month I bought a Nokia N800 internet tablet that runs on a
small version of Debian linux.  Guess what?  Everywhere I go, the
wireless connects effortlessly.

F7 is the first fedora that made me feel like a beta tester (or alpha
tester) for RedHat enterprise linux.  Simply too many fundamentals
have not worked well and require hours of study and work.  And the
various "help" pages, such as the pm-suspend quirks page, are simply
unhelpful.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science