Re: Remote X11 Connection

Chris Jones wrote:
>>  If you want
>> to run a remote desktop in an already running X session, use "Xnest
>> -query remote_host".
>
> Ah yes, I knew I would forget one ;)
>
> BTW : In the above command you need to specific the display number, otherwise
> it defaults to :0 and thus will complain as that is normally your current X
> session. Just run for instance
>
>  > Xnest :10 -query remote_host
>
> to start Xnest using display 10 (10 is an example, any number will do)
>
> see
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xnest
>
> for more details
>
> Chris

To do it over an ssh connection, I usually start an xterm in the
xnest window, and ssh to the remote machine and start the window
manager there.

Xnest :2 -once -auth ~/.Xauthority & xterm -display :2

Then run ssh -Y <remote_host> and run your window manager on the
remote host. I would not try for the full gnome or KDE desktop, but
something like blackbox would work. Without the -auth option to
Xnest, it will reject connection attempts.

Mikkel