Re: Installation of VMware-server

Jack Byers     byersj@xxxxxxxxxxx

>Do you have the kernel-devel package installed that corresponds to your
>running kernel?  If you do, vmware-config.pl should find the headers
>at /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/build/include or something similar.

>                 Matthew Saltzman

yes, that  /ib/modues .... works too,
but   in my fc5    build is a link to the /usr/src... i originally quoted
   jack

And it still is.  My point was that vmware-config.pl should find
the /lib/modules/... link automatically if the right kernel-devel is
installed.
               Matthew Saltzman

Matthew:
I finally get your point, thanks much.

My expeience with vmplayer  and the vmware-config.pl  is quite llimited.
I last ran this stuff in Oct 2006, altho i did manage to muddle thru it and get
a working VM, which i still use.
My notes from that time show me that i tried the kernel-devel   yuminstall
but it gave me   .2187    not   my then (and current)  kernel.2174
so i had to remove the   -devel.2187 and   reinstall the -devel.2174
and then i was able to muddle thru the vmware-config.pl
but it did not find that include dir automatically.  Most likely bc of those
confused yuminstall steps.

Any way thanks for clearing up the proper procedure for me.

The OP's experience sounded exactly like mine, so i thot he could
also  'muddle thru' it, doing something like i did.
I havent seen any more responses from the OP.

Jack

Tease your brain--play Clink! Win cool prizes! http://club.live.com/clink.aspx?icid=clink_hotmailtextlink2