Re: Video players, plugins, Firefox and 64 bit

Alan Cox wrote:

> Actually they hired a former microsoft senior exec from the microsoft
> windows media people. That aside the BBC does usually go to some lengths
> to try and keep good cross platform support as befits its state funding
> and constitution.
>
> >From the UK (the BBC site non UK is somewhat different as they have to
> keep some of the video content UK only to keep the owners happy, or so
> they can sell it to you ;)) it seems to just work for me both with
> realplayer and the realvideo feeds and with mplayer and the windows media
> stuff.

Like many others, I can watch BBC News videos with my F7 64-bit desktop.
However, there apparently *is* a difference btw. UK and non-UK customers
in that earlier (2 weeks ago) only low-quality (~34 kb/s) video streams
were available for my location (in Finland).
Connecting to BBC News with FF-32 and a stand-alone RealPlayer 10, I was
now offered a choice btw. 'broadband' and 'standard'. Choosing broadband
I got a better-quality (224 kb/s) picture, but there were many 'freezes'
even in the one-minute World News video - just like watching someone on
a satellite videophone. These freezes were apparent on other videos as
well.
This is beside the point, however. BBC News videos *can* be watched with
Fedora 7, Firefox-32 and RP 10 also outside the UK.

Antti