Re: F 7: HP LaserJet 4000N stopped working for me via parallel port...

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Chris Mohler wrote:

On 8/2/07, Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
So I am getting a lot of error messages. I hae reset the printer...I
don't
know what else to do.

Try this:
cat /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps > /dev/lp0 (or /dev/parport0?
I'm away from F7 right now)

Tried both. Nothing.

rain is ready and printing
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
1st     root    1       Test Page                       19456 bytes
active  root    2       install.log                     58368 bytes

If you get a test page,  then you know at least the printer is
functioning and properly connected.  Next, I'd probably stop the
"hplip" service, restart CUPS and see if the parallel port is then
offered.  Or use the CUPS web interface (http://localhost:631).

All fail, even though it "sees" it, obviously. The printer state says "Ready" in the window. I tried a new cable, that didn't work, either.
I tried a different machine...nada.