Re: what is rc.local shutdown partner

Mail List wrote:

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 12:57:33 pm Adalbert Prokop wrote:
The file /etc/init.d/halt calls /sbin/halt.local if it exists. But it does
so rather late in the shutdown process - maybe too late for your needs...

 * Thank you very much - this may be just what I need *
For my needs this will be perfect - I have encrypted /home but I did not have luck getting encrypted / like my ubuntu friends - so I need to cryptographically clean /tmp and /var/tmp on shutdown on my laptop for security purposes. I plan to use a script which uses shred and tmpwatch to clear them out.

  Thank you ... I will try this.

Make sure your /tmp isn't journaled or shred won't really work well.

From man shred
CAUTION:  Note  that  shred relies on a very important assumption: that
the file system overwrites data in place.  This is the traditional  way
to  do  things, but many modern file system designs do not satisfy this
assumption.  The following are examples of file systems on which  shred
is not effective, or is not guaranteed to be effective in all file sys-
tem modes:

* log-structured or journaled file systems, such as those supplied with

              AIX and Solaris (and JFS, ReiserFS, XFS, Ext3, etc.)

*  file  systems  that  write  redundant data and carry on even if some
       writes

              fail, such as RAID-based file systems

* file systems that make snapshots, such  as  Network  Appliance’s  NFS
       server

* file systems that cache in temporary locations, such as NFS

              version 3 clients

* compressed file systems

In  the  case  of  ext3 file systems, the above disclaimer applies (and
shred is thus of limited  effectiveness)  only  in  data=journal  mode,
which  journals  file  data  in addition to just metadata.  In both the
data=ordered (default) and data=writeback modes, shred works as  usual.
Ext3  journaling  modes  can  be  changed  by adding the data=something
option to the mount  options  for  a  particular  file  system  in  the
/etc/fstab file, as documented in the mount man page (man mount).

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.