Re: Strange grub behavior w/new 2.6.22.1-41 kernel

> On 8/2/07, Frank Elsner <Frank.Elsner@xxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:55:01 +0200 Casey Stamper wrote:
>> > I got home today and updated my laptop w/the latest kernel and other
>> > updates. When I rebooted, grub automtically went back to the previous
>> > kernel. I had to manually choose the new one. It's easy enough to fix
>> in
>> > menu.lst but I thought the default behaviour was to make the latest
>> kernel
>> > the default.
>>
>> You can tune this within file /etc/sysconfig/kernel
>>
>> Mine reads
>>
>> # UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
>> # new kernels the default
>> UPDATEDEFAULT=yes
>>
>> # DEFAULTKERNEL specifies the default kernel package type
>> DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel
>>

>> --Frank Elsner
>>

> That's nice to know but why did the supposedly default behavior change?
> I've
> been through several kernel updates on this machine and IIRC, they booted
> from the newest kernel upon restart (although I *could* be wrong on this).
> know FC6 booted the newest. I run a lot of different distros so maybe my
> last two or three kernel updates on F7 are getting mixed up in my mind
> w/the
> default behavior of other distros. I'll definitely pay closer attention to
> it next time and tweak /etc/sysconfig/kernel if necessary.

On 8/2/07, Jim van Wel <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:Hi there,

Well, I updated it today, and everything was standard installed, and it
just went fine, also selecting default the newest kernel. So maybe you
changed something?

Greetings,
Jim.

That's odd. I've never messed with /etc/sysconfig/kernel but the old kernel was definitely the default after installation of the new kernel. I didn't change anything after the install/update - just rebooted to test the new kernel (which I had to select manually).

--
Casey Stamper
http://www.stampersite.com/wordpress