Re: what is rc.local shutdown partner

Mail List wrote on Thursday 02 August 2007:

> > The file /etc/init.d/halt calls /sbin/halt.local if it exists. But it
> > does so rather late in the shutdown process - maybe too late for your
> > needs...

>  * Thank you very much - this may be just what I need *
>
>    For my needs this will be perfect - I have encrypted /home but I did
> not have luck getting encrypted / like my ubuntu friends - so I need to
> cryptographically clean /tmp and /var/tmp on shutdown on my laptop for
> security purposes. I plan to use a script which uses shred and tmpwatch
> to clear them out.

Hm... I suppose it *is* too late then. The halt service tries to unmount
all filesystem before halt.local is executed.

If your problem is only encrypted /tmp (and maybe swap?) then crypttab
might be just what you want. (man crypttab) Crypttab is evaluated at
startup by cryptsetup and allows you dynamically setup an ecrypted /tmp
and swap - and maybe /var/tmp.

You might find http://www.familie-prokop.de/cryptofs/index_en.html
helpful. If crypttab is not applicable for you, then you will find 2 shell
scripts (cryptoswap, cryptotmp) at the bottom of this page. They can act
as system services and mount/unmount encrypted partition on
startup/shutdown.

--
bye,
Adalbert

To live is always desirable. -- Eleen the Capellan, "Friday's Child",
stardate 3498.9