Re: Xen and NVidia

On 8/1/07, RavenOak <ravenoak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 12:21 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > On 8/1/07, RavenOak <ravenoak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to get Xen and the NVidia binary driver to work properly.  3d
> > > accel seems very slow.  At the moment I'm using the driver package from
> > > FreshRPMS (nvidia-x11-drv-97xx-1.0.9762-4.fc7), and it compiles fine,
> > > loads X fine; but when I have Compiz enabled, rendering is *very* slow.
> > > The only reason why I'm using 97xx is that the newest driver does not
> > > seem to play well with Compiz, it crashes the entire system (thanks
> > > NVidia for inserting a display driver directly into the kernel ;) when I
> > > attempt to logout or stop Compiz.  Do I need to use the 'nosegneg'
> > > work-around for glibc?  Or if newest NVidia driver will work, how do I
> > > get around the logout/stop Compiz crash?
> > >
> > > Any suggestions would be welcome (other than "don't do that..." without
> > > proper explanation to back it up).
> >
> > Per the driver README, Xen is not supported.  I'm a bit puzzled how
> > you got as far as you did, as the driver installation should have
> > failed as a result of using a Xen enabled kernel.  Also 1.0-9762 isn't
> > supported, you should be using 100.14.11.  Sorry
> >

> I wouldn't mind using 100.14.11, but it does not play well with Compiz
> and crashes the entire system as I described above, unless that has been
> resolved recently.  There is a thread on an OpenSUSE list/message board
> that describes getting the NVidia driver to compile on a Xen kernel.  In
> it, it also further says that Livna has built the fix into their
> package.  I am assuming that Matthias did the same for FreshRPMS,
> because it works.
>
> While looking for the thread, I found this in the OpenSUSE wiki
> ( http://en.opensuse.org/Use_Nvidia_driver_with_Xen ).  The driver
> version referenced is 9631, and the patch is from www.nvnews.net.  I
> know NVidia has been working on Xen compatibility for a while now
> (sometime 2005).  BTW, no mention of Xen at all in the 9762 version of
> README.txt.

Any Xen support added by 3rd parties is not supported.  Or more
accurately, you should contact whomever provided you with a custom
driver package for assistance.  I should note that any Xen support
added to these 3rd party packages is not going to be sufficient for
most rigorous use cases.  Where did you read that NVIDIA was working
on Xen support since 2005?

I was mistaken when I stated that the driver README documented the
lack of Xen support, however I'm telling you that its not supported.
It is documented here, however:

If you're having composite problems with 100.14.11, you should report
them here after reading all the forum sticky posts:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14