Re: New Kernel still bad

>     It was my guess that USB uses Firewire. I can be wrong. The device
> is a tiny sim in a plastic housing with a USB male plug.

Your guess was wrong: USB and firewire are two totally different
protocols.  They both do a similar job but they are incompatible, like
VHS and Beta were.  So you will be connecting either by USB or firewire,
in this case it is definitely USB because the dmesg has messages from
the usb-storage module.

> sd 3:0:0:0: [sdg] Assuming drive cache: write through
>  sdg: sdg1

It's actually ready to go... you should be able to mount it by hand as root

mount /dev/sdg1 /mnt

and access it at /mnt, to unmount it

umount /mnt

but clearly the magic that makes haldaemon or whatever it is that pops
up the "what do you want to do with your new drive" dialog is broken.

-Andy