Re: Back Again

On Wed August 1 2007, Andy Green wrote:
> I think this was actually Karl's most interesting post to date.  I would
> far rather read Karl's reports than posts telling other people to shut up.
>
> It's perhaps easy to imagine one is representative of the people on the
> list, when in fact there is a huge spread in age, background, culture,
> geography and experience level.  The only thing we presumably have in
> common is that we are interested to keep using Fedora in a good way, if
> a post goes towards or touches on that let's be tolerant despite it
> might not be something you would have written yourself.
>
> After all despite not having control over what others write, all of us
> have full control over what we choose to read, and people that are
> troubled can find a full solution there.

Being the son of a diplomat, I can recognize the touch. Well put...
Being the son of a diplomat doesn't mean it rubbed off  on me '-)

I have given Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint and Mepis a try. I actually thought Mepis
went downhill after it switched to using Ubuntu for its base; apparently,
Warren Woodford thinks so as well, and is reverting to Debian Etch -
His comments are noteworthy given all the hype that has accompanied that
distro. I found the implementation of all things sudo to be a pain on several
occasions; also, I didn't experience the 'it just works' experience so often
repeated, and had hardware problems on several occasions that were harder to
resolve than those I've had with Fedora; and I did notice that their repos
tended to lag behind the release curve after some time - security patches
would come through, but many other packages would remain with older versions
for much longer periods than with other distros. It would appear that
PCLinuxOS is the new rising star - without a whole lot of fanfare, they've
taken the #1 slot at Distrowatch - I'm not sure how accurate a snapshot that
is, but, they have put out a consistently excellent distribution for the past
three years. If their admins didn't have such huge poles stuck up their
heinies, they would probably do even better -- all the folks here who are so
enamoured of straight-laced  strict on-topic lists would find themselves
quite at home on the PCLinuxOS mail-list. I think one page that Fedora could
take from PCLinuxOS is their excellent sysadmin tools. Not only are most
admin tools consolidated into one location, but, functions that require
multiple things to be done, such as configuring Samba and enabling the right
firewall options are implemented really well. I was hoping that
system-admin-control was going to head in that direction, but it would appear
that it has been dropped. While still available, I've found that some of its
functionality has been impaired in F7 - selecting modules result in
mysterious errors or in dialogs to enter the root password a second time, for
example.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA