Re: Back Again

Chris Jones writes:

From what I see yum is doing, it download the primary, the other file, and
possibly filelists, /every/ time a single package gets added to the repository. Even though 99% of the content is the same as before.

This, in my opinion, does not really such an optimum design to me. You should /not/ have to download /everything/ every time a single package changes.

Out of interest, how are these files downloaded ? Would it be possible to use something like rsync to avoid downloading the whole file, and only get the 'bit' that changed ?

Only if the files are uncompressed. Then you can use rsync, but you now have to set up rsync as an additional requirement for publishing a package repository.

With HTTP 1.1 partial chunking, and some careful set up, your only requirement remains just a basic Apache install, without needing anything else.