Re: Back Again

On Tuesday July 31 2007 10:16:38 pm David Boles wrote:
> > I don't know if you've ever upgraded Fedora from one release
> > to the next. The upgrade process is as slow as molasses,
> > even though all the metadata is right there.
>
> Do you know just why an upgrade of a system 6 months old, or
> more, takes longer than a fresh install of a new release? You
> should study that situation. Start with package dependencies
> and then think about just what you might have changed and
> added from third party sites. Then think some more.
>
> Care for a really stupid example? Take a 2006 automobile.
> Examine it very closely. Then with a garage full of new 2007
> parts make it a 2007 automobile. All the time making sure that
> everything fits and still works.
>
> Email us when you're finished.

Having just done this to two production machines (using that term
loosely), this discussion interests me. I was pleased with both
updates. Both were fairly modern machines but both are used for
lots of experimenting, and have many packages from non-Fedora
repositories. Both have nVidia video cards running the
proprietary drivers. Both upgrades were in the neighborhood of
3-4 hours. Both came back up with broken video - not too hard to
fix, but expected. Repo files had to be either reinstalled or
manually fixed to get the F7 entries -- not hard. I've found a
few broken packages, but, not deal breakers. I have lots of
audio/video packages on these boxes including stuff from CCRMA
and BLAG as well as Freshrpms. rpm worked OK under pretty
serious stress testing for me.

Is there something better out there than rpm? I constantly hear
complaints about Yast, but have little direct experience with it
having gotten tired of SUSE fairly quickly every time I tried
it. The .deb package manager seems OK, but I don't remember
being particularly wowed, the several times I've used it.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA