Re: Sort files by filename

Mark Haney wrote:

Good luck.
I think this would probably work except I really need to know which ones
are out of sequence as is, changing the filename would eliminate that
capability and the missing files are the ones I need.  See, I'm
receiving the files from a separate server and they are sent to me in
this format.  I need to know which ones I /don't/ receive so I know
which ones I need to have resent.  Make sense?

Is there a reason why rsync cannot be used for this?

Unfortunately, yes, due to the method that I receive the files, ie from another application that has it's own mechanism to feed the files to client machines. I really wish this wasn't the case, but I have to live with what I got.

If you request the resends with http you could use wget with the option to only transfer if the server's copy is newer than yours, and just ask for all of them every time.

Or, if you can construct the (sorted)list of all the names you expect to have you can:

ls * | comm -13 - /path/to/list

and get the list of names in the list but not in the directory.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx