Re: Where Did It Go? A Re-Post

> I want to confirm Gene Poole's post about Fedora 7
> (and kernel 2.6.2x) non-support of ATAPI IOMEGA Zip Drives.
> Neither Fedora 7's nor kernel.org's kernels recognize the device.
>
> Back in Fedora Core 6 (and kernel 2.6.18), the drive was
> /dev/hda (or /dev/hdb, whatever).  But the best Fedora 7
> can do is create /dev/sdb, unless the drive actually has
> a disk inside.  Then Fedora 7 creates /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb4
> (or /dev/sdb1 if you have made your own Linux partition).

That actually sounds right... on newer kernels /dev/hd* is dead and all
IDE devices appear as logical scsi devices.  So the fact it gets as far
as recognizing and creating /dev/sdb1 for example sounds pretty good.

> I have tried building several 2.6.21.3 kernels, but they all
> fail to recognize the drive.  Only the program, sfdisk, can
> read anything from the device without generating any error
> messages.  The command, sfdisk -l /dev/sdb, prints out
> what seems to be one good diagnostic message and a
> reasonable partition table.

How do you mean "fail to recognize the drive" when you are also saying
you get a /dev/sdb1 created?  That sounds like the drive is recognized fine.

I wouldn't tell you everything is tickety-boo with the libata stuff
because a few days ago I had to remove a DVD drive from a laptop to get
it to complete a boot and udev with 2.6.23-rc1.  But it would be good to
see the "error messages".

-Andy