Re: JibJab - no sound - wrong sound card.

On Sunday 29 July 2007 17:49, Mike Burger wrote:

> > OK, this was working but it has stopped.
> >
> > For a long time videos on CNN had never worked.
> > Then, several weeks ago they started working.
> > And then several weeks more and the AUDIO stopped but the video was fine.
> >
> > For some reason, today I decided to go to jibjab, and lo, the same
> > behaviour.
> > I see the video, but no audio.  Now this has ALWAYS worked.
> >
> > And my suspision is that I have a built in sound card (intel) on the
> > motherboard,
> > and add on sound card (sound blaster) and the jibjab (and probably the
> > CNN) are
> > connecting to the WRONG ONE (the intel).
> >
> > Changing the connection to the other output, and lo I have audio.
> >
> > So how do I tell the world which is the default sound card?
> > Or how do I tell individual programs what is the default sound card?
> > I dont see anything in jibjab nor in the netscape that it is running in
> > Mumph.
> > Grump.
> > --
> >                                         Reg.Clemens
> >                                         reg@xxxxxxx

<Mikes top post reset as a bottom post, as top posting can be frowned upon>
> I'm not 100% sure why nobody's suggested this, but...
>
> I'm going to take a leap, here, and assume that you're not using your
> onboard (Intel) sound system, since you spent the time, energy and money
> to buy and install the Sound Blaster.
>
> Why not just go into your system's BIOS setup, and turn off that sound
> system?  Voila...no more confusion over which sound card/subsystem to use.

Thats true, and about 4 years ago when I first started working with computers
I did something similar. I bought an Audigy2 soundblaster, and wasn't sure if
XP could do 2 soundcards, so disabled the onboard one with a jumper on the
mobo. Very soon after that I moved to Linux, and havn't turned back.

It can be usefull to have access to 2 soundcards though, in which case the
indexing options in /etc/modprobe.conf work well. For example IIRC Gene
Heskett uses one of his 2 soundcards just for Skype. That way Skype has a
soundcard all to itself, and doesn't interfere with the other soundcard which
he can use for other stuff.

I may move the jumper back to enable the onboard soundcard again, just to see
what soundcard this is, but as I have about 14 different distros running on
this machine, it may take some time to sort them all out with the newly
detected soundcard.

Nigel.