Re: questions on how to install Fedora 7 from downloaded iso

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 01:20:50 -0700
Darlene Wallach <freepalestin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> This is what I have in grub:
> title Fedora Core 3 install
>           root (hd0,0)
>           kernel /vmlinuz-fc3-install ro root=/dev/hda3
>           initrd /initrd-fc3-install.img
> title Fedora Core 3 install text askmethod
>           root (hd0,0)
>           kernel /vmlinuz-fc3-install ro root=/dev/hda3
>           initrd /initrd-fc3-install.img
>
> I don't remember which of the two I used to install
> Fedora Core 3.
>
> I downloaded the DVD iso and mounted it.
> $ ls /tmp/mountpoint/isolinux/
> boot.cat     initrd.img    options.msg  splash.jpg    vmlinuz
> boot.msg     isolinux.bin  param.msg    TRANS.TBL
> general.msg  isolinux.cfg  rescue.msg   vesamenu.c32
>
> So I plan on copying initrd.img and vmlinuz to /boot
> cp /tmp/mountpoint/isolinux/initrd.img /boot/initrd-f7-install.img
> cp /tmp/mountpoint/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-f7-install
> and modifying grub to:
> title Fedora 7 install
>           root (hd0,0)
>           kernel /vmlinuz-f7-install ro root=/dev/hda3
>           initrd /initrd-f7-install.img

You might have problems with this because F7 expects the partitions to
be named as sda instead of hda.  All drives are treated as scsi now
whether they are or not.  There is information on this in the release
notes online.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F7ReleaseSummary

> What I'm not sure of is if the install will allow me to
> access the external hard drive for the installation.
Which external hard drive?  I see only the hda drive mentioned.

> Have I made any mistakes in what I plan on doing?

It reads to me like you want to boot your existing system with the F7
kernel.  Is this correct?  I'm not clear on what you are trying to do
here.

> Thank you for your attention and patience,
>
> Darlene Wallach

Andy's suggestion of installing a cheap IDE DVD-ROM is a good one if
you can afford it.  You bypass all of this.  Of course, you might
consider this to be fun.  ;-)