Re: How to mount USB drive at boot time

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 17:36 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > I have a USB drive that is usually, though not always, connected to my
> > desktop system.
> >

> > If it is connected to the system at boot time, the device path should be
> > created and the drive should be mounted immediately, i.e. BEFORE any
> > user logs in.
> >
> > If it is not connected at boot time, there should be no serious problem.
> >
> > If the drive is connected to a running system (on which it had not been
> > previously connected), the device path should be created, and it should
> > be mounted by root.
> >
> > Root should be able to unmount the drive, when it is mounted.
> >

> > I assume this should be done by either udev or hal -- HOW?
> >
> You may be able to do this just by putting the entry in /etc/fstab,
> using the UUID of the filesystem to eliminate any dependency on device
> name. I /think/ the hotplug will check, I can't easily go thru it myself
> at this moment.

I don't think so.  Here's my /etc/fstab:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
UUID=9dd976ce-a988-42a2-857d-06c3079675e7       /media/usb-disk ext3 defaults 1 2

During boot I see these messages:

Mounting local filesystems	[FAILED]
Mounting other filesystems: mountpoint /media/usb-disk does not exist.

And, in fact, the drive is not mounted.

BTW: Why is this so hard?  Am I the only person who wants to do it?

BTW: I thought that the messages that appear on the monitor during boot
were saved in /var/log/messages .  Apparently not.  Are they saved
anywhere?

Thanks - jon