Re: Kernel Panic / Crash, Kdump no help

Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 17:33 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
What do you get on the console when not in X ?

Unfortunately I haven't seen anything on the text console yet.

Any clue why kexec and kdump don't work?
Nope sorry

Drat, thanks anyway.

There is a tool called memtest86 which can do serious grade memory
testing and will also sometimes find cache problems as well if they are
there. Worth running on the box for a day or so

I've just run memtest86 a few times. I ran it with all four memory
modules in and got errors almost immediately. I ran it on each module
individually for one pass and I got no errors. I guess I'll try it in
pairs. Is there any reason why using both memory channels would cause
trouble?

Have you tried adjusting your memory timing in the BIOS? Set it to the slowest speed that your BIOS allows and see if it lasts longer in memtest. If so, then speed it up gradually until if fails again.

Regards,

John