Re: cpu speed problem

fedora wrote:
> Hi listers
>
> here is a laptop with
>
> [root@myhost ~]# cat /etc/fedora-release
> Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
> [root@myhost ~]#
>
> worked well until 10 days ago. then, the laptop started its fan, and
> drove down its cpuspeed to about a quarter of the speed before. if i run
> the system-monitor, the cpu is busy always about 30 %, whereas before it
> was busy only about 6 %.
> The fan from then on is never stopped and the CPU stays low in
> performance from then on. i have to do a power down (either pm-hibernate
> or halt/reboot) in order to make it come up with the "full" performance
> and stay there for a while. after that, the fan starts again and the cpu
> slows down.
>

> i also changed the parameters of the cpuspeed program, so that now it
> comes up with:
>
>  1413 ?        Ss     0:01 cpuspeed -d -p 90 45 -m 731500 -M 997500 -n
>
> all to no avail.
>
> i also checked to see, whether in the BIOS the intelCPUstepping is
> enabled, and it is enabled.
>
> i understand, that the fan at a certain point in time starts turning.
> but i don't understand, why at the same time, the cpu slows down.
>
> has anyone got an idea, where this immediate change stems from and how i
> could stop it?
>
> thanks in advance for any reply
>
> suomi

I suspect you have a hardware problem - possibly dust clogging the
air path so you are not getting proper cooling.  You may be able to
fix the problem by blowing things out with canned air.

You can check this by looking at the CPU temperature - if it is
high, as I suspect, then the fan stays running and the CPU is slowed
down to try and control the CPU or motherboard temperature. You can
run "acpitool -t" if you have it installed, or take a look at the
values in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/state.

Mikkel