Re: Label Crap!

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 05:14 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>         The original label in fstab was 123456 for the root directory
> and it was the swap directorys that had the worst long labels. This is
> important because the label on the swap partition is wrong!

I've seen dual boot systems change things slightly, so each partition is
unique.  e.g. Your first system had /boot/, /home/, etc., and the next
installation was /boot1/, /home1/, etc.  But 123456 seems a bit extreme.

Have you done multiple installs/upgrades on top of each other, or have a
multiboot system?

>         So those long nonsense labels for the swap partitions are what
> caused my swap to not work. This is a bug for anaconda.

Hmm, doesn't matter what they actually are, so long as they're used
consistently, and according to whatever rules apply to the names.  But
it's certainly more user-friendly to have a label you've got some chance
at being able to easily type in.

>         I opt for a manual partition setup. I dislike the LWN idea as
> being too complex and uncontroled. It must be this that messes up
> anaconda.

I, too, dislike the LVM idea.  How did you manually partition, though?

I used fdisk to carve up the drives, then provided labels when I did a
mkfs.ext3 on the main partitions, provided labels with the mkswap
command, and use e2label on anything that need's tweaking, later on.
(Divide them up and call them names, mildly amusing...)

I did it from the install disc, I CTRL+ALT+Fsomething to get to a
console before the install routine got to the partitioning the disc
section, then went back to the routine after my custom drive prepping.
Using the install routine's manual partitioning to *pick* the partitions
it'll install to, but not reformatting them.

I did it in that manner because the install routine doesn't give me an
option to type what *I* wanted to use as the volume labels.  That's
important for multiboot or multidrive systems.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.