Re: Label Crap!

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 17:56 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
I did a google search and discovered that e2label can make just fine labels for my files. They were hhhhhedffggeertytuu and I changed them to fedora_7. Then I rebooted and fedora_7 would not come up and had a kernel panic and all that shit!

Hmm, some little while ago I replied to one of your posts detailing how
you could have done all of that, quite easily.

Yours has been the only one that I've seen generate labels like that
(gibberish characters).  All the ones I've seen come with labels
something like the mount points (e.g. /home as the label, and swap-hda7
as a swap label).

How did you initially partition your drive?  Did you let the installer
do it for you?  Did you do it by hand?  With what program?

I had to use my fedora 7 DVD and select Rescue. When it got to the point I asked it to mount my fedora 7 system and it FAILED! I had to use mount the darn thing myself and then use joe to remove the dam labels I made and replaced them with /dev/sdb5 which thank God now work! Now it will boot again.

Whether the labels are there or not doesn't matter, as far as booting is
concerned.  (The labels are written to the partitions.)  But what you
put in your grub.conf and /etc/fstab can matter for your issue.
Changing the fstab entries back to device names isn't really "removing
the labels," and it isn't necessary to remove them.

	Please no one mention labels AGAIN!

I was tempted to reply in HTML, just so I could write "LABELS!" in 54
point text...

The original label in fstab was 123456 for the root directory and it was the swap directorys that had the worst long labels. This is important because the label on the swap partition is wrong! I discover that e2label will not give a label to a 82 partition. It errors out.

So those long nonsense labels for the swap partitions are what caused my swap to not work. This is a bug for anaconda.

I opt for a manual partition setup. I dislike the LWN idea as being too complex and uncontroled. It must be this that messes up anaconda.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User