Re: Problems with F7: Wrong kernel type, prelink pegs my CPU

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
Hello all,

Got two problems with my new install of F7.

I am using kernel-xen-2.6.20-2925.13.fc7. Problem: I *don't* want to use Xen, I want to use the other kernel on my machine:

kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7

How do I fix that? Why did it do that on install?

Well, I just fixed that. I don't know why it did it, but I edited grub.conf to put the non-Xen kernels first. Then I blew away the Xen kernels, and all is well with that.

No, all is not well, you could have just changed the value of the "default=" line to boot what you want and preserve the ability to run a xen kernel if you find later you need to. You jumped to the brute force solution just 13 minutes after asking the question.

I can always re-install by doing a yum install xen-kernel.

Second, a program called "prelink" pegs my CPU. Is it necessary, and if not, how do I turn it off besides doing a kill -9 on it?

Let it run to completion. If you don't, some fixes may not work as expected. Stopping part way through could leave system files in an inconsistent (partially updates) state, that why a regular kill doesn't stop the program. I assume by now you did something more drastic like deleting the executable...

What "fixes"? Still, I will reboot and let it run. What does this program do? I've never seen it before.