Re: scrambled panel

charles f. zeitler wrote:
this sunday my xga monitor started acting up,
the screen goes out & drops me to a login screen.

i switched to my back-up monitor, and same scene.

after re-attaching my xga monitor, i find my upper
panel scrambled, "apps" "places" and "system' are now right-center, launchers to the right,
clock left-center... and the 'move' function
is greyed out...

Drop to runlevel 3 or boot into runlevel 3 and run
system-config-display --reconfig

This should reconfigure your display from scratch and hopefully better.

This has to be performed as root user.

Another option is to run
X -configure
which will make a configuration file located in your directory called /root. If it works, you will have to move the created file to /etc/X11 from root and rename it as xorg.conf. You might have to control-alt-backspace to kill the server and there should be instructions at the prompt to test the configuration file.

Jim

is there some way to restore order to this sitch?

thanks

charles zeitler