Re: F7 nvidia-96xx driver problem

Lonni J Friedman writes:

On 7/24/07, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lonni J Friedman writes:

> Which is the point that I made the last time this came up a few weeks
> ago.  OSS doesn't mean that the support is any better than closed
> support.  The two gentlemen who seem to be the most vocally against
> 'binary blob drivers' have no record that I can find in this list's
> archives of ever providing anyone with actual fixes for drivers.  Nor

How many problems do you see posted here about the free drivers, for which a
fix is needed?

A fair share.

Such as? I'm sure there's an occasional message, every once in a while, but I just don't see the same numbers.

And -- I'm damn certain -- you know that's true. Please stop playing games. If you really insist, I can go through the list archives, for, say, the last two months, and search for messages, then add up how many complaints are about each one of them.

But you know what the results are going to be, so, please stop the kidding.

For my part -- since you seem to demand to see my credentials -- over the
years I have logged of a handful of bugs in Bugzilla, concerning various
bits and pieces regarding various video hardware, across an assortment
Fedora beta releases, over many years. And, many of them eventually were
resolved satisfactory. So I can confidently say that I've done my part -- as
little as it might actually matter in the great scheme of things -- towards
improving the state of free video drivers for Linux.

Its great that you're filing bugs, but that doesn't prove anything
about open drivers being superior.

That doesn't. But other things do, however that's a different subject. Here, I was only answering your demands for my credentials. You asked for them, I answered them, without discussing anything regarding alleged superiority of "open" drivers.

No, you chose to do nothing because it aligns with your viewpoints.
And that's fine, however attacking & mocking others because they are
using a 'binary blob driver' is both infantile & short sighted.

How exactly have I "attacked" or "mocked" someone? Specific examples, please.

Stallman.  I'll say it again very clearly, and with smaller words so
that you'll hopefully be able to follow:
Open source drivers do not have support that is any better than closed source.

No, I'm afraid they do.

Where is the official "closed source" support for my ten-year old Voodoo card?

Where can I find it?

Where?

I know exactly where I can find "free software" support. Not "open source". You really should educate yourself about the difference between "open source" and "free software". The two are not the same, and the semantical difference is important.

Now, I'm sure there are specific hardware for which only the non-free binary blob driver works, and the free "nv" driver does not. That does not prove that closed source is better, in general. All it does is show that, for specific hardware, "closed source" driver support is better by default. Similarly, for other hardware, the only available support is in the free driver, since it's no longer supported by the binary blob.

But an absolute, unqualified assertion that "Open source drivers do not have support that is any better than closed source", in all cases, is flat out wrong.