Re: F7 nvidia-96xx driver problem

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:16:49 -0700
Lonni J Friedman <netllama@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/24/07, Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:32:42 -0700
> > Lonni J Friedman <netllama@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > The two gentlemen who seem to be the most vocally against
> > > 'binary blob drivers' have no record that I can find in this list's
> > > archives of ever providing anyone with actual fixes for drivers.
> >
> > Are you referring to me?  If so, you either didn't look very hard or you were
> > looking for the wrong thing.
>
> If the shoe fits.
>

> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-March/msg00728.html
>
> So you read an X log.  This might horrify you, but you can do the same
> for *ALL* X drivers.  Open source doesn't have some monopoly on a
> readable X log.  In fact, the nvidia driver tends to produce one of
> the more readable, user friendly X logs.

You stated that I have never provided any assistance with a video driver
problem.

I have now demonstrated you to be incorrect.

> Surely you're not claiming that being able to read an X log, or
> generate a modeline is something that can only be done with open X
> drivers?  Hopefully you're not that badly misinformed?

That has nothing whatever to do with your original statement.

And you know it.

> > So if you were referring to me with the rather snarky statement that I quote
> > here, you may now apologize and retract your remark.
>
> You get points for having a sense of humor.

You can apologize for having provided incorrect information and having made an
unfounded assumption about me that you were prepared to correct once the facts
were drawn to your attention.

Or you can be known as being either completely delusional, or as a bald-faced
liar.

It's your choice, I suppose.  Which would you prefer?

> That's nice.  The nvidia X driver doesn't require that much effort to
> do the right thing, and even in the small percentage of cases when it
> does, the driver README already provides equivalent documentation.

Again, that's completely irrelevant to your original statement, which I have
proven incorrect.