RE: X-Windows on Remote

> The problem is that all of those suggested need X-Windows to
> download.
> Kinda like the Post Office in Brooklyn (OK, Old Joke).
>
> Mike
I just looked at this thread.  If you are using putty,
you are probably displaying back to a windows machine.
In this case you would need an X server running on the
windows machine such as Exceed.  Exceed costs money, however
there are free X servers for windows out there.  When you
have an X server running on display 0, an nmap of the
machine will show port 6000 open.  This is needed for
display back.

The VNC option is probably more viable.  You will want to
make sure that you have the package vnc-server loaded on
your Linux box and that you have vnc-server turned on in
system-config-servers.  Also edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
to activate a session.  There are instructions as comments
in the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file.

It is possible to look at the displayed console via vnc.
That is, the view you would see sitting in front of the
machine.  This facility has degraded since FC4.  It is
still usable, but tends to trash the screen.

Bob S
Phoenix, AZ, USA