Re: mounting root filesystem issue ?

> I think the initial issue was a power outage, causing the machine to
> shutdown in an unorderly manner. The installation was originally a RH9

> /chmod: changing permissions of /var/log/wtmp'; read-only file system /
> /etc /

You don't mention if you did a forced fsck on /dev/hda2, seeing stuff
like your FS is readonly can mean that your filesystem is in dire need
of a good combing.

If you boot off the install DVD or CD1, and choose

linux rescue

you will be able to do

fsck -f /dev/sda2

> note that the first line was originally /label=/   /but i changed this
> on reading potential issues with labels (even though e2label reports
> corrected labels).
>
> Similarly the boot command in grub.conf was changed so as to read;
>
> /kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=/dev/hda2 /
> /initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img /

Labels will save you some hassle when you upgrade your kernel... recent
kernels changed accessing IDE stuff to go through the SCSI layer,
meaning that IDE HDD device names change from /dev/hdx to /dev/sdx.
Labels allow the right partition to be found despite this, whereas with
your current setup naming the device using the old names, it won't
succeed to boot.

-Andy