Re: Mystery of chroot

on 7/23/2007 12:04 AM, Tim wrote:
> David Boles:
>>> Let's cut the hyperbole. If Windows is really as bad as you say it is why
>>> does 90% of the world use it?  ;-)
>
> Ed Greshko:
>> Because it comes for "free" on any PC purchase?
>
> Ed's answer, plus the marketing that promotes is would be the main
> reason, in my opinion (simply because it's there, and they're told to
> use it).
>
> If I was being a smartarse, I'd give the "a million flies can't be
> wrong" comment to David about Windows...
>
> I sort of agree with Felix.  Many people have a system in a diabolical
> state.  Sometimes they recognise that, but ignore it.  Sometimes they
> have no clue that their crappy-acting PC doesn't have to behave that
> way.  It's somewhat of a rarity that they care about it.
>
> I really hate being asked to fix up someone's PC, they're often in a
> shocking state before they'll ask fo help.  You've got to chase up
> drivers for hardware that you've never heard of before.  You have to
> extract passwords, or get services to mail then to you before fixing up
> their system (where you might lose them in the fixup).
>
> Those that do have Windows systems in a good state usually have to work
> at it, or it's maintained for them by someone else.

Good post Tim. The problem(s) with Windows (version/etc goes here) is that
the user do *not* know the system. Nor do they care to know the system.
They want it to 'just work'[ like the TV does.

Which, IMFO, is what most current Linux disros are trying to do. Dumb
Linux down so that 'Joe/Josephine average user' can just make it work.
Please - no affront meant with the names.

As for your comment about 'Windows systems'? The young man, to me very
young, that maintains our local system is a great guy. We never have any
problems. The 'strange young man'  8-)  that maintains the home office
system also does a great job. Nothing is ever broken. Or at the very
least, on for a short time. It is the admin/user that breaks 'stuff' really.

And, you mentioned Felix, I can truly understand his, and your feelings.
And I really do understand - sort of - don't do this - your problems.

But - be honest now. Really. If they had a MAC. Would the problem be any
different? Or A Linux box? Would it be different? Or would the same user
have the same problems(s) but just have a different OS? Think about that.

That is the way that I see this. The problem is *not* Windows per say - it
is the user base.
--

  David