Re: yum install vmware-server

Les Mikesell wrote:
David Timms wrote:
WipeOut wrote:
Yes.. Vmware Server is free..
Correct, but not free as in open source, the license agreement is more restrictive, hence fedora can't include it

 > You still need to get a license key from
Vmware but thats free too.. :)
This also is a blocker even if the license was an acceptable open source license - if you install the package it refuses to run {until you retrieve and enter a license key}.

xen (and other vm technologies) virtual machine in f7 now have a nice gui, that makes it heaps easier to set up.

Vmware will run unmodified OS versions (as in windows too) in machines that don't have VT capable CPU's. The virtual machine images are portable across Windows, Mac, and Linux hosts. VMware can run the vast number of downloadable pre-built images here: http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/. Xen may have other advantages but there are still reasons to run VMware - and the price is right.

I just installed VMware Workstation 6 on a Fedora 7 host after spending a couple weeks using xen, again on a Fedora 7 host. My big problem with xen is that it lacks a nice graphical console that I can do real work in with a bunch of guest OSes without straining my eyes to see the tiny, non-resizeable windows.

VMWare is like a breath of fresh air to me. There is copious documentation telling me step by step how to get started and what to do. I did run into some trouble with the vmware-config.pl script owing to the 2.6.22 kernel, but I found a patch on the VMWare forums and after a little trying, the install succeeded. I had no trouble installing the CentOS 5 guest (I needed a driver floppy because CentOS 5's installer doesn't have a model for the Realtek 8169B...found the needed image file on the CentOS 5 forums.) For me the best news is that with the vmware tools, I can resize the guest OS window into something I can actually see and work with. There's a lot of technical documentation on the VMWare site I can refer to. It helps me get up and running fast. I have a few problems, the worst is that the guest OS's clock falls behind the actual time by a big difference -- 45 minutes slow with my first long work session in the guest. I hope to find a fix for that.

So far I am very pleased with VMWare and I'm just coming to appreciate how nice virtualization is.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA