Testing Ground

I have felt for years that Fedora is a testing source for Red Hat. They do a whole lot for Fedora but it is done to keep us going and willing to try new things. This is not bad but it gets to me. I stayed with FC4 for years because of the stories I heard about FC5,6 and then 7. I remember when Red Hat 6.x came out and it was so much fun. It was what Red Hat wanted Linux to look like. Work on X windows was ongoing and it was sure needed. Getting X to work was a hobby of mine.

The kernel we all got today is a good example of a broken kernel sent to Fedora where we try it and complain about what it does and not. I can't believe the kernel guys didn't at least try it on a desk top and a laptop before sending it out. But no, it was put on the Fedora update list where we all reproted the problems. I have yet to hear anyone say the new kernel works better somehow.

I have been and still am a Red Hat booster. But it is wearing thin of late. Too many things worked on FC4 but don't on FC5 but do again on FC6 and then not on F7. Even some things work better on F7 than they did on FC6 on F7. It is not consistent.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User