Re: yum downloadonly

David Timms wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Todd Zullinger wrote:

Check out repomanage from yum-utils.  You could use it something like
this to move old packages to an archive dir (or remove them):

repo=/path/to/cache
archive=/path/to/archive
repomanage --old $repo | while read package; do
    mv "$package" $archive
done

I didn't quite understand this.
If you wanted to remove the old packages
couldn't you just say "yum clean cache"?
More clearly put, I would want to remove packages from the yum cache that have been updated by a later version. So the old packages are the packages that have been updated multiple times. This can save a heap of space eg when large packages like openoffice, evolution end up having multiple updates.

I saved over 2.2GB doing this. My package count went from over 1500 to around 700 (I had more redundant packages than I did usable ones!). One note is that I needed to create a repo before I could manage it and use the tool mentioned above to clean out old packages. I didn't feel like modifying a directory yum uses, so instead I just created hard links to all of the packages elsewhere, and then created a repo there. Then I could just pipe the output of all the old packages and delete the package in both the new location and the yum cache.
An old method of mine was to fire up gftp, select my local yum cache in the left pane, and download.fedora.redhat.com/... updates in the right. Then click tools|compare windows, and then right-click delete on one of the highlighted {unique) packages on my local machine}, to delete all the packages that are no longer in fedora updates repo.

DaveT.

Justin W