yum downloadonly

I asked a while ago if there was any way
of only downloading a package once
and then installing it on several machine,
and I was advised that the yum-downloadonly plugin
would serve this purpose.

I just got round to looking at this,
and I don't really see how to set this up.

What I would like is an option to yum, say localrepo,
so that if I say "yum --localrepo update" then

1. yum will look first to see if the package it wants
is already in the directory /common/RPMS/
(specified in some config file),
and install it from there if it is found; and

2. If it does not find the package locally
it will download and install it,
and save a copy in /common/RPMS .

Is this already available, eg using yum localinstall ?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366