Re: Problem with NON-Wireless network card

> Andy Green wrote:
>> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since I updated the kernel on my Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook running FC6
>>> to release 2.6.22.1-15.fc6, my wired network card, a BroadCom BCM4401
>>>

>> I think this device is meant to be handled by a module called "b44".
>> confirm first that it isn't all actually fine
>>
>> ifconfig -a | grep eth0
>>
> ifconfig -a | grep eth
>
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev
> 01)
> 02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g
> (rev 02)
>
> Looks OK.

Err looks okay for result of lspci, not ifconfig

> b44 is in the lsmod result.

> I tried to add a device in the network configuration utility with a
> static IP address but this did not work.  Also, when I activated a
> single device, multiple devices would be marked activated, even after
> receiving a 'Cannot activate' message.

b44 can be broken in the newer kernel I guess, but the bits and bobs to
do with device configuration are a different issue.

I think what I would do if I saw this is first make sure NetworkManager
is killed stone dead

service NetworkManage stop
chkconfig NetworkManager off

and then try to configure eth0 by hand, first

killall dhclient

to stop any nonsense from that, then, eg,

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

(changing the IPs/netmask as necessary) and see what happened.

-Andy