Re: Wireless

Herbert Taylor wrote:
> I have another question.  I have been trying to use the wireless on my
> Dell laptop but with no success.  I can use the wireless on Windows
> without any problems.  I am using the Kwifimanager.  I also used Linksys
> WUSB54G in Florida last year on windows but unable to pick it up on
> Linux. I also can pick up all kinds of networks on Windows with the
> Broadcom card in the Dell but no luck on the Linux side.  Any sugestions?
>
> Herb Taylor

Be really careful about asking about Broadcom cards on this list.  Some
people get their panties in a wad over it.  I have a Broadcom card in my
laptop and I've had no trouble using open networks with ndiswrapper and
some WPA networks (like my office one) with it.  Mostly ndiswrapper
works fine.

However, some people will bitch and moan about ndiswrapper in general.
Their are broadcom drivers in the kernel that people have had varying
success with.  I've been too busy to try my card with those drivers, but
I will give it a go this weekend.  My problem is that I'm running
64-bit.  The 32-bit modules seem to work pretty well.

FWIW.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support